Here’s what Marc had previously written:
1. There are reasonable arguments for and against annual standardized testing.
2. I think Education Trust, and Kati in particular, have done very important work in shining a spotlight on school systems that fail poor and minority students. Education Trust has been able to do this, in part, because of data from annual testing.
3. I disagree with major portions of Marc’s argument, but I do agree with some of what he says.
4. In considering the issue, I do think we should give significant weight to the fact that many civil rights organizations are in favor of annual testing.
5. There are many of minority families that are against annual standardized testing. I personally know a few.
6. That fact that Marc Tucker is a white male should not prevent him from making (or prevent us from listening) to his views on the issue, especially given his expertise.
So many times (especially on twitter!), I’m temped to not intellectually grapple with the ideas of those with whom I disagree.
Failing to grapple with the ideas of those with whom I disagree has never served me well.